This recipe came together when I was craving pitas, but had a lot of ingredients that pair well with Asian flavors. And the result was incredibly delicious! The yogurt sauce is so addictive, my family drizzles extra on every bite. This one is quick for weeknights, extra healthy, and vegetarian/kid-friendly.
Serves 4 | Vegetarian, gluten free adaptable, kid-friendly | Less than 30 minutes
- 4 pitas (we love Whole Foods bakery whole wheat pitas!), cut in half
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 8 ounces baby bella or shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped into small, 1/2-in pieces
- 1/2 tbsp minced fresh ginger (or sub 1/2 tsp powdered ginger)
- 1 large head or two small heads of bok choy, sliced vertically into strips
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1/8 cup water or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tamari
- For the yogurt sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt (we also like Siggis skyr)
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- The juice of half a lime
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- Thinly sliced cucumber
- Thinly sliced orange pepper
- Green leaf lettuce
Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, broccoli, mushrooms, minced garlic, salt, and a few cracks of black pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes until onions are slightly softened. Lay the bok choy on top and without stirring, add the water and immediately cover. Let steam for 3 minutes, then remove the cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in the tamari and minced garlic and let simmer for an additional 5 minutes.. Then turn off the heat and set aside.
Mix the yogurt, honey, lime juice, chili garlic sauce, salt and a few cracks of black pepper in a small bowl. Add a tbsp or so of yogurt sauce to the bottom of you pitas. Add the cooked vegetables and top with cucumbers, orange peppers, lettuce, cilantro and basil. Drizzle more sauce on top. Serve immediately.
For the kids: I save some of the broccoli and steam it separately. I serve a half a pita with sliced cucumbers, broccoli, and plain yogurt and they love dipping/building their own pita pockets!
2 thoughts on “Asian-Inspired Pitas with Sweet and Spicy Yogurt Sauce”
Yum! Your pictures are making me hungry. I’m a sucker for pita bread, I keep pita chips at all times hah.
A lovely little sandwich!